Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Fight Against Obesity: The International Food Challenge

We are an obese nation, the average are getting fat and the fat are getting fatter. Michelle Obama has recently said,
"Nearly a one third of American children are either overweight or obese, and a third will suffer from diabetes at some point in their lifetime".
This sad fact made me want to do something for myself and find out why for others. I don't want to be another fat number in their statistics, so I decided to try out a study.

My theory is that Americans are fat because everything in the American diet is making us fat. I know, not so original because people have said this stuff before. Still, I will personally test this theory by completely changing my eating habits. This means I will no longer eat pizza, hot dogs, burgers, and fast food, all things popular in an American diet. Instead, I started yesterday eating only International food. So I will eat Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Vietnamese...who knows maybe I'll find places with more exotic food.

I will continue this to see if it has an effect on my weight and health. I know changing your diet alone is not the solution to losing weight, but trying to lose weight on the American diet has not gotten me anywhere. So with this international diet, mixed with exercise, I'll see if there is a difference.

There will be some ground rules and exceptions to this though. First, this will not really change what I drink, because that's harder to do, and I am not giving up caffeine. Hello, look at the name of this blog! Second, it will be very hard and costly to eat international when I'm home. So, I can eat the groceries that are in my house as long as it is something I have to prepare. This does not mean making Chef Boyardee, Hot Pockets, or any other pre-made frozen TV dinner.

The reason for this is because I want to be able to work for my food. I think another reason why this country is so obese is because we have such easy access to fatty foods. We get hungry, we could make chicken breast with some vegetables, but we want something fat so we microwave a frozen White Castle burger. I mean, this has made us lazy too, which doesn't help obesity.

So in my quest to change being just another lazy, fat, American, I hope I can use this study to show people that it's not too late. We can change if we truly want to.

1 comment:

pro said...

make sure to eat proper meals with veggies, good starch products, and some meat.

good luck with your new dietary lifestyle!