Monday, June 29, 2009

Travel Diary Day 4- Last Day

I woke up at a leisurely 8:00am with the feeling of finally being on my own. As the rest of my group left at 6am surf, I could finally take advantage of my hotel. It feels like there was so many things I wanted to do and never got to. I never ordered room service, had a drink at their bar, wander the different floors...you know things you should do at a hotel.

On that list of things to do was use their lazy river and private beach, and thankfully that morning I got to do that. The weather was sunny and hot...perfect water weather. I put on my recently purchased swimsuit that I got on clearance marked down 60%, and was happy to see that it looked lovely on me outside the dressing room. When I got down to the pool area it was pretty empty since it was early. I wanted to go on the lazy river first since the beach would get me all sandy. Since no one was using the lazy river yet, I didn't want to be the only one, so I went down to the beach.

I just wet my feet in the water to get use to the temperature and sink into the sand. A couple of minutes later I checked back at the lazy river, and seeing people started to use it, I felt happy to use it. The lazy river was simple and relaxing, the jets under the water pushed my inner tube slow in some areas to enjoy the view, and fast around turns for a little fun. I went around twice before I decided to jump off and go back to the beach.

The beach was nice for families, parents didn't have to worry about big waves taking their kids away. For me, it was nice, but I like the thrill of big waves, it's like a game. I think I spent a half hour in the water before I got out to go back to my room. Check out was at 12pm so I wanted to make sure I had enough time to shower and pack.

Once packed and ready, I went to wait in the lobby to say goodbye to my people. One journalist and her son had already left because they had an early flight. I did get to see everyone else and say goodbye and exchange business cards. At the airport I had to do some last minute cramming because I thought they would let me carry on a gift bag and not count that as an additional carry on bag.

My flight was at 3:17pm so they boarded us at 2:40pm. My seat was in the last row so I was one of the first to get on. This time, my plane was one of the older ones, the ones with no in-flight movie because they had no TVs. I can't lie, I was disappointed. Then as we were all ready to take off, the pilot comes on the speaker to say that Newark is delaying all flights for 2 hours, and since they had already boarded us, we could not get off the plane. So I had to spend 2 and a half hours sitting on a stationary plane. It felt like a nightmare, but it did make me realize something very important, I hate children!

With an annoying baby in front of me who kept turning around and trying to touch me, and even more annoying brother and sister who were loud and wouldn't stop whining, I was in hell. What is it about white parents that won't let them take charge of their children. If your child is loud and obnoxious, tell them to be quiet and say it in a way that they'll believe there are terrible consequences to disobeying. No, this brother and sister were whining and complaining, and fighting, and how does the mother respond, "If you're good I'll take you to Toys R Us" Oh yeah, that will teach them!

Finally, 5 and a half hours later, my plane landed and I didn't want to see another child for the rest of the week. Overall, I think my first press trip was a success, and I hope I have enough to write about for work.

No comments: